You may be surprised to learn that virtually your entire body is covered with hair. Because most of the hair is fine and pale, it usually isn’t visible to the naked eye.
But, when darker, coarser hair appears in the places which may make you comfortable–like on the face, neck, abdomen, chest and back in men, it may be time consider hair reduction.
Understanding Laser Hair Reduction offered at Indus Hygiea:
In the past, the usual remedies for unwanted hair included plucking, shaving, waxing or chemical depilatories. Some are painful, some are messy and all are temporary.
How does the Laser work?
The light emitted by the laser is highly concentrated & targets pigments in the hair. Heat builds up in fraction of second destroys the hair follicle and thus retards and improves any future hair growth.
Is the hair reduction permanent?
Well, FDA has approved laser for the permanent hair reduction. Once the hair follicle has been destroyed there is delay in the natural growth interval & reduction in the hair growth. You doctor at Indus Hygiea will discuss, if required with you, certain medical conditions that may cause varying results.
How many treatments are required?
Well temporary hair loss is visible after single laser treatment sessions. We recommend 6 to 8 laser treatment sessions to achieve Permanent Hair Reductions. Treatments are usually given an interval of 4-6 weeks or whenever new hair growth is noticed. The treatment duration will depend upon individual’s medical conditions and also as advised by the doctors.
The Light Sheer laser at Indus Hygiea works by disrupting hair which are in the active phase of the growth at the time of treatment. Since other hair will enter the growth phase at different time, additional treatments will be required to disable all hair follicles in a given area.
Are there any side effects?
A normal reaction is redness and a slight rash in the treated area. The sensation is similar to the sunburn, this reaction generally lasts from several hours to a few days.
Since each invidual is unique we encourage consultation with your doctors at Indus Hygiea for personal evaluation. The doctor will advise you on the side effects that may occur in rare cases.
What happens after the treatment?
Your doctor may describe a mild topical steroid cream to apply to the treated areas for 2-3 days after the treatment. For 3-10 days, you may experience, what seems to be hair re-growing. But in reality, either the hair are dead or treated hair that are being shed are not re-growing. During the treatment, you should wax or pluck your hair because it decreases the ability of laser to destroy actively growing hair.
The following factors should be considered in your decision to give consent for this laser treatment:
- Several treatment will be necessary before you get desirable/adequate results, since the laser effectively destroys the active phase only.
- Treatments can be delivered at any time that hair is noted (it is advised to wait for a minimum of time before another treatment session).
- In most cases laser hair reduction is a painless procedure. The sensation can be likened to that of a rubber-band hitting the skin. Certain areas of the skin may be particularly sensitive (such as the upper lip and bikini area) and you may require topical anesthetic cream before the session.
- Immediately after the treatment there is mild redness and swelling which resolve within a couple of hours. It is advised to avoid unnecessary sun exposure and to use a good sun screen for few days following any laser treatment.
- Hair re-growth may occur more quickly in area known to produce hair rapidly (chin & cheeks) than in the areas typically associated with slower hair growth (chest & back). Patients usually report that the hair re-growth is slower, finer in texture and sparser after each treatment.
- The treating doctor may use other assistants (nurses/doctors/technical persons) for the present as well as follow up treatments. Also the next treatment may not necessarily be done by the same person and he/she has doctors confidence and consent to do so.
Laser Hair Reduction services at Indus Hygiea
- At Indus hygiea, our main priorities are, your safety, health and results.
- All the laser treatments are done by the team of world class Dermatologists, Cosmetologistst & Laser experts only.
- Laser Hair Reduction treatment are performed by using, State-of-the-Art LightSheer Diode laser from M/S Lumenis ltd. (World leaders in medical laser).
- You will require between 6-8 settings for optimum results (80% hair reduction). There are many factors which affect the effectiveness of the laser.
- “Touch up” sessions are sometimes required to maintain reduction.
- The doctors may require some tests before starting laser treatment like ultrasound and hormonal blood assays.
- Treatment time varies from 15 min to 2 hours depending on area to be treated. For example the full face may require up to 30 minutes.
- The treatment is quite painless. It may feel like a rubber band hitting the skin. A cooling gel may be used during the procedure.
- The precaution to be taken is to avoid excessive, direct sun screen through the day.
- Rarely a little pigmentation may be noticed in lasered area.
- Follow your doctor’s advise and carefully understand your prescription and treatment.
- Photographic records may be taken to assess your progress as treatment continues.